Acrylic Shower Walls vs. Tile Shower Walls
Acrylic shower walls or tile shower walls? When it comes to bathroom renovations, choosing the material for shower walls is one of the most critical decisions you will have to make. This decision is most likely to come down to your budget, available space, and personal preferences. The shower surrounds are typically made from hard materials in order to protect the walls from moisture. Both acrylic and tile shower walls are waterproof and give your shower that fine finished look you are aiming for.
Undoubtedly, tile walls look stunning and they are available in a wide range of choices, while acrylic walls offer a seamless and clean look that comes in various textures, patterns and colors to suit any space. However, before making a final decision, it is good to understand the pros, cons, maintenance requirements and other details about both of these options.
Here are a few things you need to know about the two shower wall options to help you make the right decision.
The Advantages of Acrylic Walls
First, let’s have a look at the advantages of acrylic shower walls:
- The installation of acrylic walls is faster and easier as compared to tile – whether done by DIY or by professionals. Installing tiled walls is a time consuming process, but opting for acrylic walls means that you will have a gleaming new shower by the end of the day!
- This option is more cost-effective than tile shower walls.
- Acrylic material is much lighter and can easily be installed in tricky areas.
- When you choose Five Star Bath Solutions acrylic wall systems, which come in individual panel form, they are fully customizable to your original bath or shower area.
The Advantages of Tile Shower Walls
Now, let’s have a look at the advantages of tile shower walls:
- There are a huge range of design options available in tile walls.
- Tile shower walls are eco-friendly. There are numerous eco-friendly tiles which are made with 60% or 40% recycled content, but gives the same sharp look as the normal tiles.
- Tiles can be adjusted to fit in any space.
Installation and Costs
DIY installation is possible for tiles but you will have to invest considerable effort and time to finish the task as compared to DIY installation of acrylic shower walls. If you opt for a tile shower wall, then it is best to hire a professional for the job. Acrylic walls are easier, more cost effective and less time consuming as compared to installing tile shower walls.
Maintenance and Cleaning
Maintenance and cleaning of a tile shower wall requires some effort to maintain a tile shower. You can easily wipe the tiles clean, but in order to prevent mildew growth and stains, you have to invest in a good grout cleaner and clean the grout lines regularly. It is also essential to ensure that the grout is properly sealed or else you will end up with hard to remove stains or even cracks. Eventually, grout will need to be replaced around the tile.
An acrylic shower wall requires less maintenance as compared to a tile wall. A quick wipe with a damp cloth is all it takes to keep the wall clean. Furthermore, the stubborn stains or dirt built up over the week can be cleaned with an approved acrylic cleaner or simple vinegar water.
And there you have it; now you can now make the right decision on the basis of the information given above. Acrylic walls and tiled walls both have their own advantages and disadvantages. It is imperative that you make the decision on the basis of your budget, space and long term costs. Tile shower walls do take more time, cost and energy to install and maintain. Acrylic shower walls have improved resistance to scratches and are easier and cheaper to install and maintain and offer a wide range of looks. Our acrylic wall systems are guaranteed for the life of the house, which means you never have to worry about it again.
Need help? That’s what we do! Get your free in-house estimate by clicking here.
At Five Star Bath Solutions we know how important it is that your bathroom is both beautiful and functional. We help you choose the best and most beautiful solutions for your bathroom design needs and go above and beyond to give you the high quality service you expect. We have many locations to serve you. Request your free estimate today!